The inhabitants of the commune are known as Angoumoisins or Angoumoisines. Located on a plateau overlooking a meander of the Charente River, the city is nicknamed the « balcony of the southwest ». Formerly the capital of Angoumois in the Ancien Régime, Angoulême was campagne de 1870-1871. L’Armistice et la Commune (Éd.1872) PDF fortified town for a long time, and was highly coveted due to its position at the centre of many roads important to communication, so therefore it suffered many sieges. The commune has been awarded four flowers by the National Council of Towns and Villages in Bloom in the Competition of cities and villages in Bloom.
Campagne de 1870-1871. L’Armistice et la Commune, opérations de l’armée de Paris et de l’armée de réserve / par le général Vinoy
Date de l’édition originale : 1872
Sujet de l’ouvrage : Guerre franco-allemande (1870-1871)Paris (France) — 1871 (Commune)Paris
Ce livre est la reproduction fidèle d’une oeuvre publiée avant 1920 et fait partie d’une collection de livres réimprimés à la demande éditée par Hachette Livre, dans le cadre d’un partenariat avec la Bibliothèque nationale de France, offrant l’opportunité d’accéder à des ouvrages anciens et souvent rares issus des fonds patrimoniaux de la BnF.
Les oeuvres faisant partie de cette collection ont été numérisées par la BnF et sont présentes sur Gallica, sa bibliothèque numérique.
En entreprenant de redonner vie à ces ouvrages au travers d’une collection de livres réimprimés à la demande, nous leur donnons la possibilité de rencontrer un public élargi et participons à la transmission de connaissances et de savoirs parfois difficilement accessibles.
Nous avons cherché à concilier la reproduction fidèle d’un livre ancien à partir de sa version numérisée avec le souci d’un confort de lecture optimal. Nous espérons que les ouvrages de cette nouvelle collection vous apporteront entière satisfaction.
Pour plus d’informations, rendez-vous sur www.hachettebnf.fr
Angoulême is an Acropolis city located on a hill overlooking a loop of the Charente limited in area upstream by the confluence of the Touvre and downstream by the Anguienne and Eaux Claires. By train: the Paris-Bordeaux line, served mainly by TGV, passes through Angoulême and the TER Limoges-Saintes provides connections. By water: although the river Charente is currently only used for tourism, it was a communication channel, especially for freight, until the 19th century and the port of l’Houmeau was very busy. The Angoulême-Cognac International Airport is at Brie-Champniers. Old Angoulême is the old part between the ramparts and the town centre with winding streets and small squares. The city centre is also located on the plateau and was portrayed by Honoré de Balzac in « The Lost Illusions » as « the height of grandeur and power ». There is a Castle, a town hall, a prefecture, and a cathedral with grand houses everywhere.
Surrounding the city were five old faubourgs: l’Houmeau, Saint-Cybard, Saint-Martin, Saint-Ausone, and la Bussatte. The district of l’Houmeau was described by Balzac as « based on trade and money » because this district lived on trade, boatmen, and their scows. The port of l’Houmeau was created in 1280 on the river bank. Victor-Hugo, Saint-Roch is notable for its military presence. Basseau is a district which was created in the 19th century with the port of Basseau, the explosives factory in 1821, the Laroche-Joubert papermill in 1842, then the bridge in 1850. Sillac – La Grande-Garenne was a private housing estate then was built up with HLM units. Bel-Air, la Grand Font in the railway station district with housing blocks from the 1950s at Grand Font.
La Madeleine which was completely rebuilt after the bombings of 1944. Ma Campagne is a district which was detached from Puymoyen commune in 1945 and built-up as a collective habitat from 1972. Le Petit Fresquet was also detached from Puymoyen and is semi-rural. Frégeneuil was also detached from Puymoyen and is semi-rural. The church of Saint-Ausone, the cathedral of Saint-Pierre, and the city hall can all be seen. The Port-l’Houmeau, the old port on the Charente located in the district of l’Houmeau is in a flood zone and during floods the Besson Bey Boulevard is usually cut. Geologically the town belongs to the Aquitaine Basin as does three quarters of the western department of Charente.
The commune is located on the same limestone from the Upper Cretaceous period which occupies the southern half of the department of Charente, not far from Jurassic formations beginning at Gond-Pontouvre. This limestone plateau contains natural cavities which have been refurbished by man in the form of three or four floors of caves, some of which include antique grain silos. The valley of the Charente is made up of old and new alluvium which provides rich soil for farming and some sandpits. These alluvial deposits were deposited successively during the Quaternary period on the inside of two meanders of the river that are Basseau and Saint-Cybard.