Shali Mountain village, Ruins of the Old Siwa, Lake Aftnas, Pigeon Towers, oasis near Siwa. Its fame lies primarily in its ancient role as the home to an oracle of Ammon, the ruins of which are a popular tourist attraction which gave the oasis its ancient name OASIS n. 21, June 2015 (Arabic Edition) PDF of Amun Ra. Historically, it is part of Ancient Libya.
You can help by adding to it. The Ancient Egyptian name of the oasis was Sekht-am, which meant « palm land ». Early Arab geographers termed it Santariyyah. Although the oasis is known to have been settled since at least the 10th millennium BC, the earliest evidence of any connection with Ancient Egypt is the 26th Dynasty, when a necropolis was established. Evidence of Christianity at Siwa is uncertain, but in 708 the Siwans resisted an Islamic army, and probably did not convert until the 12th century.
A local manuscript mentions only seven families totaling 40 men living at the oasis in 1203. Al-Bakri stated that only Berbers lived there. The first European to visit since Roman times was the English traveler William George Browne, who came in 1792 to see the ancient temple of the Oracle of Amun. The oasis was officially annexed to the Eyalet of Egypt by Muhammad Ali of Egypt in 1819.